Winesecrets facility tracking
Advanced winemaking solutions — winesecrets.com
Company: Wine Secrets Inc
Headquarters: Sebastopol, California
Industry: Filtration technologies for wine producers
California-based Winesecrets are using Orca Scan to gain efficiencies in three ways:
- Detecting and correcting potential machinery failures by providing greater visibility of machinery inspection data.
- Tracking the movement and usage of their vehicles in real time rather than by a paper-based logbook.
- Providing engineers with a real-time view of inventory levels and detailed maintenance information such as how often a particular system component was changed, again, helping to identify potential issues.
The great thing about Orca Scan is that it's not just one specific system, it's like a hammer, I can use to hit everything.Peter Nudi Winery Mechanic Winesecrets
California-based Winesecrets help wine producers make better wines and build more efficient and environmentally sustainable wineries. We had the privilege of visiting Peter Nudi (Winery Mechanic) at their 47,000 sq ft production facility in California's Wine Country to observe how they're using Orca Scan and brainstorm ideas as to how we could improve the system for them.
Here’s the detail:
Data-driven asset and inventory tracking
A systematic inspection of equipment is essential to maintain the high operating efficiency of their machinery, by detecting and correcting potential failures before they happen. To do this, they use multiple Orca Scan Sheets ? Sheets are custom Orca Scan configurations that act like online spreadsheets, allowing multiple users to collaborate in real-time, from any smartphone across their production plant:
Winesecrets initially started using Orca Scan to track the movement and usage of their vehicles, replacing a paper-based logbook.
The process is as follows:
- Scan the barcode on the vehicle
- Scan the barcode on the vehicle key
- Scan the barcode on the trailer
- Enter the destination and starting mileage
- On completion, rescan the vehicle and enter the final mileage
As the data is synchronised in real-time, Winesecrets now has up to date visibility of their vehicles at a glance via Cloud Sheets.
Winesecrets also use Orca Scan to monitor the inventory levels of industrial components required by engineers to service their systems.
The process is as follows:
- Scan part numbers as items arrive in stock
- Scan the part number as an item is fitted to a machine
This simple 2 step process, not only provides engineers with a real-time view of inventory levels but also detailed maintenance information such as how often a particular system component was changed - helping to identify potential issues.
Future use cases
During our time with Peter, he suggested a number of improvements that would allow them to use Orca Scan in other areas of their business. We very much look forward to working with Peter on them changes and revisiting Winesecrets again in the future.
A BIG thank you to Winesecrets for finding the time to help us understand how they use Orca Scan and brainstorm how best to continue this journey of simplifying barcode technology.