How to track Fire Extinguisher Inspections using barcodes
Fire extinguishers need visually checking each month to ensure they remain fully functional and ready to use in an emergency. Using barcodes with smartphones to record inspections dramatically reduces the time and effort required and helps organisations maintain a digital record for compliance purposes.
How do you inspect a fire extinguisher using Orca Scan?
The Fire Extinguisher Inspections template simplifies recording inspections by guiding the inspector through the inspection process. The typical inspection flow is as follows:
- Download the Orca Scan barcode scanner app
- Create a new sheet using the Fire Extinguisher Inspections template
- Scan the barcode on the Fire Extinguisher
- Enter required information by inspecting the extinguisher
- Sign your signature to confirm you have completed the inspection
- Save the changes
You can now view your entire fire extinguisher inspection history, including who carried out the inspections in real-time, using the Orca Scan web application.
Can multiple people collaborate on an inspection?
Do all Fire Extinguishers have a barcode?
No, not all Fire Extinguishers have a barcode; it depends on the manufacturer. If the fire extinguisher does not have a barcode, you will need to print one and apply it.
How do I print a barcode for a fire extinguisher?
You can generate and print barcodes from within the Orca barcode app using the following steps:
- Tap + top left to add an item manually
- Tap the cog to the right of the barcode field
- Tap generate a new barcode
- Tap the cog to the right of the barcode field again
- Tap print barcode
- Select barcode type (QR code are easier to scan)
- Tap print to send to your printer
Can I capture additional information about a Fire Extinguisher?
Yes, of course, you can add/remove fields to capture any additional data you need.